Common Household Electrical Problems

While electrical problems can be scary, you shouldn’t panic. Most household electrical problems are harmless.

Power surges only last for a split second, but frequent surges can damage your appliances and significantly reduce their lifespans. Try removing cheaply made devices from outlets to see if this stops the problem.

Hot light switches and outlets are dangerous as they expose live wires. If you notice this, call Hillside Expert Electrical immediately.

Flickering Lights

If you've noticed that your lights flicker, it can be a sign of a number of different electrical problems. It could be as simple as the light bulb being loose or it could indicate a more serious problem like faulty wiring or an overloaded circuit.

Most light bulbs need a constant supply of electricity to function properly. If the light bulb is not screwed in tightly or it is a different wattage than what is recommended for the fixture, the bulbs may flicker. This can also happen if the light switch is not compatible with the type of bulbs used in the fixture.

You can usually solve this issue by tightening the light bulb or switching to a different bulb type. However, if the flickering continues, it's likely that the underlying wiring is to blame. It's best to call a licensed electrician right away to address this issue before it becomes more severe or leads to other issues.

Faulty wiring can be the cause of flickering lights and is a common culprit in house fires. It can be caused by old wires becoming damaged through deteriorating insulation, animals chewing through wires, or simply through normal wear and tear over time. If you suspect that the wiring is to blame, shut off power to the affected circuit and call a licensed electrician to inspect it and make any necessary repairs.

If the lights only flicker when you turn on major appliances such as washing machines, dryers, dishwashers, or air conditioners, it may be due to an overloaded circuit. These appliances require a substantial amount of electricity to start up and can pull more than the current circuits are designed to handle. If this is the case, it's a good idea to call an electrician to install new circuit breakers in your home.

It's also possible that the lighting in your home is being affected by heavy usage of electricity by your neighbors. If the lights in your home flicker when your neighbors use their appliances, it's a good idea to talk with them about their electrical usage. This is especially important in condos and apartments where the electrical system is shared between units.

Buzzing Sounds

If you're hearing buzzing sounds in your home, it can be a sign of a serious electrical problem. This noise is usually caused by loose or overloaded wires. In this case, it's important to call Hillside Expert Electrical right away. This can be a fire hazard, so it's best to get it fixed as soon as possible.

Another common electrical issue is if you're constantly losing power in certain areas of your house. This is typically due to overloading a circuit, and it's important to call an electrician to fix the issue as soon as you notice it. It's also worth noting if you're using cheaply-made electronics that draw more power than they should, as this can cause frequent electrical surges and damage to your devices.

An expensive energy bill can be a warning sign that there's an electrical issue in your home. This is typically because of poor lighting or a major appliance that's drawing too much power from the electrical system. In some cases, it's a sign that you're overcharging by your electricity provider, which can happen if your bills are inconsistent or if your electricity usage has gone up dramatically in the past month.

A tripping circuit breaker is a common electrical issue that's easy to overlook. You might have too many appliances plugged into the same outlet, or your wiring may be low-gauge and not capable of handling the amount of electricity you use. If this is the case, you should call an electrician to get it fixed as soon as possible to avoid expensive electrical problems.

If you notice a burning smell near your electrical outlets, it's a big red flag that something is wrong. This could be a sign that the plastic insulation is melting, or it might be a sign of an electrical fire. If you notice this, shut off the power to your outlet or light switch and Hillside Expert Electrical immediately.

Another sign of a problem with your electrical system is when you hear popping sounds when you turn on a light or an appliance. This is usually caused by loose or overloaded wires, and it's a big safety hazard.

Power Outages

For some people, power outages are a huge inconvenience and might mean that their fridge or freezer has gone bad or they’re not able to charge their phone. For others, particularly the elderly and those with preexisting health conditions or poorly insulated homes, a power outage can be a dangerous situation.

A power outage is a clear sign that there’s something wrong with your electrical system. Even if the breaker panel or GFCI doesn’t seem to be to blame, it could be a sign of an internal issue in your wiring. It might be a good idea to hire an electrician to have a look at your grid and wiring to find out what’s going on.

Another potential culprit is a power surge. Power surges happen when the voltage goes up and down for a short period of time. They can damage your electronic devices if they continue for an extended period of time and should be treated as a serious problem.

One way to check for a surge is to unplug any appliances and electronics that aren’t in use, including the fridge or freezer. This will reduce the amount of electricity they are using and help stop any potential damage from happening. If this doesn’t work, you can also try replacing the outlet or putting in a new plug.

It’s also worth checking your circuit breaker to see what might be causing it to trip. If you have a lot of high-wattage appliances that are plugged into the same circuit, it can cause the breaker to trip. This is a safety feature that helps prevent overheating, which could lead to fires.

If you’ve reduced the number of high wattage appliances and tried switching them on one by one or using lower settings, it may still be time to call a qualified electrician. They’ll be able to diagnose what’s going on and decide whether it’s time to add some extra outlets or upgrade your whole wiring system.

Other signs that your wiring isn’t up to scratch are a sudden higher electric bill and the smell of burning wires. These are warning signs that your home’s internal wiring is faulty, which can be a real fire risk.

Electrical Shocks

Electrical shocks are a serious household problem that can cause serious damage to the body and possibly lead to death. If you get shocked when you plug in an appliance or turn a light switch on it is a sign that there is a problem with the wiring. You need to call a licensed electrician as soon as possible to check and fix the issue.

An electric shock can be caused by any wire, cord or outlet that conducts electricity, as well as falling power lines. If you are shocked, don’t touch the source of the shock and see a doctor immediately. Even mild shocks can cause internal injuries like burns, loss of consciousness, a seizure or erratic heartbeat.

The most common causes of an electrical shock are poorly insulated appliances, wires or receptacles and non-grounded outlets. The prong holes in receptacles can also become worn over time, which can result in loose connections and fire hazards.

Another common problem is a frequent short circuit when using appliances. It can be very dangerous if you continue to use the appliance and it starts to overheat. If the appliance keeps tripping your circuit breaker, you should contact a licensed electrician as soon as possible.

Light switches that don’t turn on or shut off are a serious issue and should be addressed right away. If this happens in multiple rooms, it may indicate faulty wiring. However, if it occurs in only one room, it is likely due to a defective light bulb or poor socket connection.

These problems can be a danger to you and your family, but they are easily fixed by Hillside Expert Electrical. The longer you ignore these issues, the more damage they can cause to your home’s wiring, appliances and safety. So don’t wait until the problem is out of control and take action now. If you are looking for a licensed electrician to fix your electrical problems, look no further than us. We have  years of experience in residential and commercial electrical work. We are dedicated to providing high quality and affordable services so that our customers can live safely in their homes. We are fully insured and certified, so you can rest assured that we will complete all electrical work properly. Contact us today for a free estimate!

While electrical problems can be scary, you shouldn’t panic. Most household electrical problems are harmless. Power surges only last for a split second, but frequent surges can damage your appliances and significantly reduce their lifespans. Try removing cheaply made devices from outlets to see if this stops the problem. Hot light switches and outlets are…